lisaschensted

Lisa the Nerd

I'm a nerd who likes to read YA lit. Sometimes adult books when someone insists it's fabulous. Always Jane Austen.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
Shadow Kiss
Richelle Mead
Such a Rush
Jennifer Echols
Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
Will Grayson, Will Grayson - 'John Green',  'David Levithan' In a sentence or so: Two boys with the same name cross paths on a cold and fateful night in Chicago. Songs are sung, eyes are opened, and lives are changed.Meet Will Grayson. He lives by two rules: 1. Don't Care Too Much and 2. Shut Up. He does a pretty decent job of this, except where his best friend Tiny is concerned. Tiny is - literally - the biggest and gayest boy he's ever known. He's also his long time best friend and - though he would never admit it - he wouldn't want it any other way. Will's rules are first challenged when Tiny decides to launch a school musical starring himself and Gil Wrayson as his best friend. And AGAIN when Jane, the frustratingly adorable girl who is part of the small but mighty GLBT group at school, catches his eye. Are she and Tiny worth breaking the rules that have gotten him so far in life?Meet Will Grayson. He is angry every day and teetering on the edge of severe depression. He generally hates people and life, but makes a few exceptions. He tolerates the emo and gothariffic Maura, who continues to poke and prod into his life (which guys LOVE, by the way...) and his fellow Mathletes. The only person he feels any true affection and care for (besides his mom, albeit reluctantly) is Isaac. Will looks forward to the parts of his day where he can chat with Isaac with giddy anticipation. All the anxiety and the frustration fall away when he's chatting online with Isaac.Having read John Green books before, and LOVING THEM, I knew what to expect from his chapters. Humor, self deprecating wit, a love interest who is smart and insightful and just a touch of nerd, and the best best friend you could think of. For the record, I was totally right. His chapters are all of those things.Having never read a David Levithan book before, I didn't know what to expect. What I found was a perfect compliment to the JG chapters. His chapters were raw and gritty and unflinching in their bitterness towards the character's world. It made me uncomfortable to read them. That's when I knew I was in love with this book. I loved a character who hated the world.For a book packed with coming of age goodness, completely YA yet completely profound relationship insight, and characters that are so sincerely intellectual and real you want to invite them over for dinner to chat late into the night, check this out. You will be emotionally invested within pages and the coming together of all of the characters is sweet, unexpected, and completely fulfilling.Fave Quote: "your life is right here. and, yeah, it sucks. lives usually do. so if you want things to change, you don't need to get a life. you need to get off your ass." (65)Fix er up: Honestly, the only thing that would have made this book better would be to hear the songs in Tiny's musical. Short of that, this is just perfect the way it is.