lisaschensted

Lisa the Nerd

I'm a nerd who likes to read YA lit. Sometimes adult books when someone insists it's fabulous. Always Jane Austen.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
Shadow Kiss
Richelle Mead
Such a Rush
Jennifer Echols
Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
The Monstrumologist - Rick Yancey In a sentence or so: Will Henry and the Monstrumologist he apprentices under have to save their small 1800s town from a pack of monsters with a serious desire for human flesh.Will Henry is an orphan. His parents died in a fire and the doctor who employed his father takes him under his wing. The thing is, the doctor isn't an ordinary doctor. OH NO. He studies monsters for a living. Which means Will Henry sees and hears and learns many absurd and surreal and downright frightening things from time to time. His greatest horror unfolds when a grave robber brings the body of a girl who is wrapped up with a monster. Now Will Henry and the doctor must identify the monster, figure out how it came to live here, how many more there are and how to kill them. And, you know, make sure no more innocent people die in the process.This Monstrumologist is dark. Like, crazy dark...and I loved it. I was hoping it didn't take the subject matter to a slapstick absurdity, and it did not disappoint. The monsters are described in vivid detail, the circumstances of Will Henry's life are completely and utterly depressing, and even the doctor is a character riddled with flaws and a damaged past.The complexities of characters and the mysterious and supernatural plot made for an excellent read. Slowly we find out more about what the monsters are, how they got there, and continue to worry about how in the world Will Henry and the doctor are going to take care of the problem!I was scared, excited, hopeful, anxious, and enthralled from cover to cover. The characters pulled at my heartstrings while the mystery kept me biting my nails. I can't wait to see where the rest of The Monstrumologist series takes me!Fave quotes:"These are the secrets I have kept. This is the trust I never betrayed." (pg 1. Opening like, y'all!)"There are indeed more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy, but those things were, like the Anthropophagi, quite physical, entirely natural, capable of fulfilling our curious and baffling need for a marauding horror of malicious intent, thank you very much." (pg 121)Fix er up: This isn't a turn off for me, but it may be for some. The book is pretty lengthy. Like, 450 pages in a paperback form lengthy. You've been warned. But also, it's totally worth it.