lisaschensted

Lisa the Nerd

I'm a nerd who likes to read YA lit. Sometimes adult books when someone insists it's fabulous. Always Jane Austen.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
Shadow Kiss
Richelle Mead
Such a Rush
Jennifer Echols
Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey

The Hobbit

The Hobbit - In a sentence or so: Bilbo Baggins, a clan of dwarves and Gandalf go on an adventure to score some treasure from a dragon. Bilbo is just a chill little hobbit who likes hanging out in the Shire. He’s more into the tea and biscuits than grand adventures. Although even the most reclusive of hobbits can’t say no to a journey with 14 dwarves and his favorite wizard Gandalf when there’s a potential to cash out huge in the end. So Bilbo takes a risk, albeit very reluctantly, and joins the dwarves on their quest. Crazy things happen! Bilbo proves useful! But he also remains fussy that he’s not at home with a cup of tea! They have to rely on teamwork and wit! Dragons are super rad! Friends, you know how I feel about Lord of the Rings. I watch the extended edition movies about once every 2-3 months. Andrew and I own at least 3 LOTR themed board games*. Yeah. I’m serious about it. BUT I’ve never read the books. I KNOW. Shame me and take my nerd card or whatever but I’m just trying to keep it real here.I read The Hobbit to try and begin fixing this glaring absence in my nerd repertoire. I loved the adventure and the characters and Bilbo’s inner monologue. I loved the wit and narrative asides from Tolkien to the reader. I completely understand why this book is an adored classic.However, if you’re not familiar with the world of fantasy, there are lots of descriptions and stories and songs that aren’t directly plot related. Hell, even if you do know the world of fantasy, this one still strays off the path more than most. However, those asides DO add to the overall warmth of the book. Just be warned that this adventure is a bit winding. If you haven’t already read The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and classic literature, fantasy, and/or adventure are your thing, DO IT. You will regret nothing. *If my nerdiness is too much for you after this, I totally understand. Fave quote: "So they laughed and sang in the trees; and pretty fair nonsense I daresay you think it. Not that they would care; they would only laugh all the more if you told them so. They were elves of course." (46)Fix er up: Some of the descriptions were a titch much for me.