lisaschensted

Lisa the Nerd

I'm a nerd who likes to read YA lit. Sometimes adult books when someone insists it's fabulous. Always Jane Austen.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
Shadow Kiss
Richelle Mead
Such a Rush
Jennifer Echols
Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5)
Hugh Howey
Bossypants - Tina Fey in a sentence or so: Tina Fey is awesome and she tells you all about it in her memoir that's hilarious and surprisingly insightful and mind-meltingly magnificent.Tina Fey, from SNL and 30 Rock fame, is one of my favorite female comedians. and by one of my favorite, i mean one of 3 that i actually like in any way. she's smart, self-deprecating, snarky, nerdy, and hilarious. while typically not drawn to memoirs, i had my arm twisted into reading this one.and i'm SO GLAD i did. because i laughed a lot. all the way through, from the very beginning to the very end. my first lol came at page 12 with the period talk.(from the "How Shall I Tell My Daughter" pamphlet from her mom)"Dear Pam,I'm supposed to go to a pool party this week, but my "Aunt Blood" is still in town. Can I go?Dear Tabitha,Of course you can still go! Modess makes great feminine-protection products that are so thick and puffy, you'll be super comfortable sitting on that bench near the pool telling everyone you're sick." (pg 12)---the laughs just kept coming, as well as the subtle words of wisdom. take this example from Tina's relationship with her eleventh-grade boyfriend:"I should have known he and I weren't going to make it when for my seventeenth birthday he gave me a box of microwave popcorn and a used battery tester. You know, to test batteries before I put them in my Walkman. Like you give someone when you're in love." (pg 28)---i think the self-deprecating rants might be my favorite part of Tina's character Liz Lemon (on 30 Rock), so i laughed especially hard with this little nugget:"I was wearing my best Gap turtleneck and my dates were two adult lesbians, so yeah, I was pretty cool." (pg 35)---and of course, the already popular (and rightfully so) poem, The Mother's Prayer for Its Daughter is one of the closing elements of the book, and provides the most quotable, laughable, and relatable pieces of the memoir. my favorite stanza is:"And when she one day turns on me and calls me a Bitch in front of Hollister,Give me the strength, Lord, to yank her directly into a cab in front of her friends,For I will not have that Shit. I will not have it." (pg. 263)----for a journey through the life and mind of a humble comedic sassypants, give this book a read. i promise you'll laugh out loud and take at least a few tidbits of wisdom to heart.fave quote: take your pick.fix er up: the cover. oh boy, that cover. the font and background scream 'bargain bin' and the male arms are creepy as hell.